S.O.A.P. Bible Study Method A SIMPLE SYSTEM FOR DEVOTIONS Getting Started
- Identify a consistent time and place to meet with God.
- Turn off all distractions to focus on your time with God.
- Using a bible reading plan greatly assists your passage selection, www.youversion.com is very helpful.
- Read the entire passage of scripture that you have identified.
- Pick one verse from the passage that speaks to you.
- Copy that verse at the top of your entry for that page.
- Observe what the verse says. Think about who it was addressed to and why it was written. Ponder its meaning, tone and purpose.
- Take several moments to meditate on it and let it soak into your heart.
- Write down your observations in a paragraph or few sentences in your journal.
- Write out how you plan to put into practice the lesson from what you have read?
- How will you be different today as a result of what you‘ve just read? How does this verse apply to me?
- Write out word for word your prayer to God based on your reading.
- Ask him to help you and thank him for his word.